Sunday, May 10, 2009

Grandmother (mom's mom), Maw-Maw (dad's mom), MaMa (my mom)

Mother's Day

It's Mother's Day and I'm feeling sadder than I would prefer. I don't know why. I'm pretty sure I just need to wake up more. I'm still in a sleepen-stupor.

The people I'm with:
mom, grandmother, maw-maw
dad, granddaddy, paw-paw
ben's on his way!

Graduation
I'm so proud of my brother. He will forever have my highest esteem. He just graduated from Furman University. My granddad also graduated from FU (in 1951). I think he's giving Ben his college ring... and they're going to engrave '09 on the side of the ring so it'll have '51 + '09 on it. That is so cool.

My brother has always amazed me. He is so stinking smart. and quick. and witty. But the best thing is he uses these qualities to approach people. and genuinely engage people. and love people. He is truly inspiring.

Granddaddy
I had the most amazing car ride with Granddaddy after graduation. He doesn't talk much in groups. Grandmother's the one with the charmingly endearing 'loud' mouth (I say that with NO NEGATIVITY whatsoever for realz). So it was just me and him. And I haven't talked with just Granddaddy in quite a while. So I wasn't sure what we were going to talk about. And honestly I don't remember everything we talked about. But he told me about his college days, and how he played all the intramural sports and ran around with the fraternity brothers, although he never joined a frat. I learned that he lived with a guy in a fraternity for three years, and that Granddaddy was the pitcher for his fast pitch softball team in college. Then when he went into the Service... he pitched for a team in England. They played other US base teams as well as British teams. I had no idea. He is amazing.

Beyond gaining an understanding of how my granddad was when he was in college, we cut up a whole bunch, telling some jokes we might not repeat around Grandmother. Then he quickly asked, "Austin! Do you like HOT DONUTS?" "YEESSSS!" I exclaimed. So we pulled into Krispy Kreme and he got us a dozen 'hot ones.' mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

My family continues to amaze me.
Happy Mother's Day.
I feel better now.
God is good.
Real good.

No comments: